Welcome to my internship journal.
Since August 2016, I have been the communications and social media intern for Communities In Schools of Pennsylvania (CISPA) and #2InspirePa. This is where I’ll be documenting samples of the work I’ve created since interning here.
For internship credit, I worked Monday-Thursday’s total 120 hours throughout the 15 weeks at CISPA’s Harrisburg state office Monday-Thursday’s, for 120 hours throughout 15 weeks.
What is Communities In Schools of Pennsylvania?
CISPA is the nation’s largest dropout prevention organization which brings coordinated, integrated student services into public schools to meet the needs to at-risk students. Their mission is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life.
What is #2InspirePa?
In 2011, CISPA and the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency (PCCD) joined forces for the 2inspire initiative. They have launched a collection of video, audio, and print messages aimed at building awareness that all students have a choice when it comes to drug and alcohol use. CISPA undertook this messaging campaign as an effort to reduce dropout, improve connectedness to school, and decrease behavior related to dropouts.
During my time at Communities In Schools of Pennsylvania my responsibilities included:
- Writing press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, toolkits, and online copy.
- Monitoring online press, printing and documenting news clips about CISPA and 2InspirePa.
- Updating, editing, managing and organizing CISPA and 2InspirePa‘s websites.
- Developing strategic plans for CISPA’s involvement with The Extraordinary Give, Lancaster’s largest day of online giving, and #GivingTuesday.
- Managing all social media accounts for CISPA and 2InspirePa via Hootsuite.
- Scheduling social media posts for organization events, updates, upcoming holidays, and campaigns.
- Analyzing and compiling social media analytics and metrics.
- Creating graphics via InDesign and Photoshop.
- Occasionally setting up software.
Projects that I was a part of while interning with Communities In Schools of Pennsylvania:
- The Extraordinary Give
- 2017 Nonprofit Innovation Awards
- #2InspirePa 2017 Positive Messaging Campaign